Thursday, May 30, 2013

book lover problems

It's a fairly innocuous question, right? "What are you reading?" It shouldn't be that hard to answer... but it is.

I'm serious. This is actually a problem in my life right now. (Okay, so I could just stop reading in public... but then I'd have to Talk To People, which is an even bigger problem.) I'm never quite sure how to answer it. For example, the other day I was reading Save Me The Waltz. When I...

a) answer in a generic manner, such as "Oh, it's a romance", people inevitably ask for more details. I'm never sure why this is, because no one ever reads the books I do unless I have previously forced them to... so they never know what I'm talking about... which leads me to

b) give a detailed synopsis, such as  "Oh, it's a romance set during the 1920s and it describes all the facets of their lives and how he drank too much and how she wanted to be a ballerina", people's eyes inevitably start to glaze over after a couple of seconds and they sidle away with pretexts such as washing their llama. (Which leads me to wonder why they even asked...)

c) compare it to another book, such as "It's similar to The Great Gatsby!", people either don't know that book, so then I have to explain it too (it's a vicious cycle!) or, if they do know it, ask "How?" and I, being already frazzled by the resulting stress of choosing one of these answers, can't quite remember why I chose to compare it.

Sometimes by the time I've decided which tactic to choose, the conversation has already moved on and all my hard work was wasted. (However, at least this means I have less of a chance of making a fool of myself... so, again, pros and cons.) It's even worse when someone I don't know well asks me this, because then I also have to wonder: "Are we going to be friends? If so, I should probably moderate what I say now..." (And not confess my shameful obsession with Georgette Heyer's Regency romances...)

How do you answer this? (Or do you just not read?)

On a slightly similar note (the Tatiana-Wants-To-Avoid-People note) this is my current manifesto song.


This will sound like a typical Teenager Statement, but I really like most of Mother Mother's songs- the lyrics really Speak To My Soul. (I'm both parodying myself and being entirely serious.) Have you found any bands like that lately?

However, I love you all, especially those of you who have helped me with my S-Trip Scholarship. Thank you so much! For those of you who still want to help by supporting, commenting or tweeting, you still have a few days left.

Happy Thursday, blog ninjas!
Jenny Matlock

14 comments:

  1. You're welcome for introducing you to Mother Mother! :D Idk what I'd do without them <3 Their lyrics are practically my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say...You'll have to read it yourself to find out what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would endorse above comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it doesn't sound like it should be a problem. for me, I would answer, 'just a book' and smile and go back to reading. or show them the cover so if they really want to know, they can search out the book themselves.

    hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I one liner to describe a book is good enough for me unless you're in my bookclub! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read at home, so I don't get asked. Right now, I'm reading The Federalist Papers, a great read for understanding why our Constitution is the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a lot and usually answer "A Book" when people ask because I don't want to waste time talking when I could be reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be lazy and tell them, "I don't know how to explain it, but I'm enjoying it."

    - which usually works for me, except I have a book review assignment due this week... that one might need a little more explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read a book today in 3 hours because I COULD NOT STOP READING. It ended up taking up my whole morning but I didn't care in the slightest. And the opening line is awesome: "Kimberlee Schaffer may be drop dead gorgeous...but she also dropped dead last year." I thought that was awesome. The book is called Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike if you want to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rarely read outside my house so I don't have to deal with the questions. In airports no one ever asks me... You must look friendlier than I do :>) I would find it very tiresome if I read in other places and had to deal with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really enjoyed visiting your blog today and although the start of this comment is Generic to others today I will personalise at the end. I know what its like to not have many visitors so may aim is to say hi to everyone of you .

    My problem with reading is I have so many books on the go. I have christian novel on phone, this is also on Kindle so that I can read when in a waiting room , I then have three books by my bed another christian novel, a Rob parsons one called 60 minute grandparent and then the bible. oh and there is a Nora Roberts book in my handbag . I love books and would so love to join a book club.
    Ok bye for now hope to see you again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I definitely have the same problem! haha! Usually if I struggle I tell them "You should read it yourself" or give them one of my favorite passages...it usually works out haha :)

    <3 Sharmaine Ruth
    underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant post for the letter B...

    You have such an amazing way of writing...

    And if I listed all the bands that "speak to my soul" we will be here for a really long time, and you would probably get bored.

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)