Sunday, September 2, 2012

the summer i was sixteen...

I recently read the poem The Summer I Was Sixteen and it made me think back over my own summer. (Can you tell my mother is an English teacher? Maybe just a bit.)

I'm not saying I actually did any of this. I went swimming exactly once with two small girls. I don't like cotton candy. I think sunbathing is rather silly (who wants to look like leather when they're fifty? not me).

It was the feel of it that struck me- that thought that you are free, that you can do absolutely anything. So, before fall officially starts (it's just the second day of September! haha, I am so confused, at first I said it was over and now I've decided it's not... so here we go, I'll just keep writing before I get any more lost) I've decided to share some final summer highlights!

-University decisions. (Again, the whole teacher-as-parent thing... I highly doubt that this is a highlight for many people!) I finally decided that I'm going to major in English. (Because, let's face it... there is no way I could ever be sufficiently passionate about something that doesn't involve reading or writing. Who needs people when there are books around?) Plus, ROAD TRIP, people!





We experienced secret missions behind the Marker aisle. 'Nuff said.


-Reading. Really, one of the principal joys of my life is curling up with a good book, and I definitely managed to do this quite a bit over the summer! (Read: every day for at least an hour. What can I say? It's an addiction.) (Also Goodreads. Does anyone else go on there? I just get sucked in...) 

-Exercise! This one was hard at times... but definitely worth it. I worked out quite a bit this summer and I think it made a bit of a difference. (Maybe. Possibly. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Still!) Here's one of my favourite workout videos- I guarantee you'll feel it after!



-Glasses. Call me crazy, but trying on new pairs of non-prescription glasses (name a shape and size, I probably wore them) filled me with joy.


Admit it, you want these.

-Big Bang Theory. I just started watching it... and it is SO FUNNY. So awkward... but it makes me feel relatively normal! 

-Friends. This is actually such a huge category... but I had to say it because I love them all and they are wonderful! From shopping....



(Yes, see, I'm not the only one obsessing over hats!) To playgrounds...



(There is no such thing as too old for playgrounds.) To art classes...



We did it all, and it was all wonderful. (Oh, and I texted them a lot too. Hahaha, yes, I am totally succumbing to cultural pressure in that respect... ah well, too late now.)

-Hipster princesses! So okay, this photo has nothing to do with anything, I just liked it. (I could totally rock some of those looks!) 


What are some top moments of your summer? 

This is also my contribution to the wonderful Alyx's linkup! 


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love reading! I would love to spend the whole day reading so it would be nice to get paid for it. Haha. And Goodreads is fantastic.
    Do I see a German flag there?
    The Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite shows. Sheldon is awesome.
    Found you at the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, glad you agree :D and yes, my friend was very enthusiastic about the german fencing team!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, reading. There is never enough time in the day to read!
    And amen - you can never be too old for playgrounds!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. completely agreed with both these statements! now that i've gone back to school, i haven't had enough time for anything -_-

      Delete
  3. reading! i kinda miss it. i was very lucky last week to have some time off of work and i was done 2 books. can't get enough of reading.

    and college...sometimes i miss it. i had a great college time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for books! and i'm glad you had such a great time there, i'm hoping i will too :)

      Delete
  4. Cool glasses and I loved the hipster princesses! lol By the way, I'm following you now courtesy of the bloghop! Great blog! I hope you'll visit my blog and follow me too!

    http://www.thedumpyduchess.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and thank you for the follow- definitely checking you out :D

      Delete
  5. Haha I read 10 books in one week... anti-socialness at its finest! Also, I love the new theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds great ;D i totally do the same, no worries! and thanks :)

      Delete
  6. great post .... and nice lady's keep it up ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)