Saturday, October 20, 2012

words I should use more often

Do you ever have the feeling that you repeat the same words over and over again? I know plenty of delicious words, but the ones I use on a daily basis are pretty much the same. So, I made a list (yay lists!) of words I'd like to bring up more in conversation! (The one problem with this is that I will probably end up confusing my entire class whenever I open my mouth... I suppose that happens all the time anyway, so it's all good.) 

Hapless... funny how you can't say 'hapful' or use simply 'hap'... isn't the English language great. But seriously, I enjoy the image this word conjures up; it just seems so distressed.

Facetious... Physics Boy uses this one all the time and it just sounds so much more sophisticated than plain old 'sarcastic' or 'joking'. 

Mishap... because saying "I had a slight mishap with the floor' sounds much better than "I tripped and fell on my face." 

Splendour... so elegant, and because I say 'beauty' far too often. (I am very enthusiastic about everything) 

Comely... much more sophisticated than 'OMG HE'S SO HOT!' (Speaking of, there were three attractive boys plus a man who looked like Rory from Doctor Who crossed with Nick from New Girl sighted at work today... and yet none of them went through my cash. Just my luck.) 

Desultory... because it sounds better than 'lazy'... If I use this one, people might think I'm actually busy! 

Defenestrate... just because it sounds slightly kinky. (But really only means 'to throw out a window'.)

As you can see, my main goal here is to dissemble (another wonderful word) about my life and make myself seem like less of an idiot. (Hey, at least I'm being honest!) Are there any words you'd like to use more? Or that you use every day?

6 comments:

  1. I can't help but say the word 'splendour' in an old English accent! With my nose slightly up as well.
    I too use the same words and sounds all the time. My most popular ones being 'oooh' or 'ahhh', 'like' (horrible word and a very bad habit), 'good' or 'nice', and probably loads of other rubbish. I need to get a thesaurus out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way all of the time. I wish I had a better vocabulary. It is something I strive to improve. I love this post! These are lovely word choices!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. defenestrate has to be my favorite from this list xD I remember you trying to teach me "facetious" and I never got the hang of it. to this day that word still confuses me. If I ever say a word that's not typically from my vocabulary, people stare at me weirdly :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. So TRUE! It's a shame we don't use more words. You just added 'desultory' to my vocabulary, so thanks! Oh and you made me think of 10 Things I Hate About You (about 98% sure it's from there)- "I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed... but can you ever just be...whelmed?" "I think you can in Europe." XD Splendorous post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am quite partial to serendipitous - and was serendipitously able to use it when speaking of a mole costume I happened to come across when asked to participate by the chemistry teacher in International Mole Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the post - I love new words but forget to use them most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)