Tuesday, July 3, 2012

driving? no, just sitting


Today was my first day of driver's ed. Or, as I like to call it... ok, actually I don't have a cool name for it but if I did it wouldn't be flattering. Today, we talked about the reason some streets have two lines, and others have one, for ALMOST AN HOUR. The rest of the time was spent either a) filling in paperwork b) discussing the meaning of green, yellow and red traffic lights or c)  I don't know, because my eyes had already glazed over and I was approaching critical zombie status.

I can't believe I'm actually paying for this.

Actually... ok, c) is slightly a lie. I also failed to pay attention because I made friends with my seatmate, and he was super chatty- for once I was the rebel who had to be told to stop talking. (I hate those people. And yet I love being one of them. I suspect that everyone feels the same, which is why it will never stop.)

The whole seatmate-buddy, by the way? Totally an accident. I sat down (well, tried to) in five different seats and was told each time that they were waiting for someone before retreating (and tripping over a couple of chair legs) humiliated far, far to the back. (None of my friends wanted to come with me. Thanks, guys. Love you too.) Thankfully, I finally managed to sit beside someone else who was by himself (sixth try's the charm?) and, despite my innate social awkwardness, strike up a conversation. I'm sorry, Mr. Driving Instructor... but when you talk about 'stale green lights' for twenty minutes, there's bound to be people who don't pay attention. (One girl in front of me fell asleep.)

Did anyone else have this sort of experience, or was it actually useful for you? 

17 comments:

  1. I wish I had the same experience! I feel like mine was mostly the same except I didn't get to strike up a conversation with a seatmate at the end. It was a total waste of time. I remember thinking the same thing, "Am I really paying for this", but it was just one of those things you HAD to do. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one. more. day... hahaha, thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, driver's ed, huh? You're so lucky! I don't get to start until next March! What's the driving age in Canada?

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 for G1, then after 8 months with the course you can take your G2, which is like a full licence :P

      Delete
  3. Totally useless. I was one of the people that kept falling asleep. What a waste of two weekends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. i'm so glad i'm taking it now, at least i'll have free time on weekends!

      Delete
  4. Sounds delightful! Jk. Ugh. I'm totally dreading it. Thankfully I have a few months. =s

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never did driver's ed - had my parents teach me instead. Always wondered if it would have been better or worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, at least you didn't have to sit in a darkened room all day, listening to randomness :P

      Delete
  6. I hate driving!
    In my country it's completely different learning how to drive, maybe that's why we don't know how to drive without killing each other.(This topic makes me angry)
    I wish everything goes fine and you get your driving licence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, that's really too bad! i hope it gets better. thank you for the good wishes though.

      Delete
  7. Ugh. My driving lessons (theory AND practical) were a big pain.
    I didn't even want to drive, but it became a big necessity...
    I love driving now, funnily enough- but glad those lessons are over and DONE with.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, you must think I'm a creepy stalker for commenting twice on the same post, but I promise, I'm not.
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award, which you totally deserve, so go ahead write your facts and pass it on!
    Liebster Blog Award


    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you so much! i'll be sure to do it soon :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)