Friday, July 27, 2012

liking hiking... not so much biking


The other day, my father and I went hiking up in the hills (what's the height difference between a moutain and a hill? In writing hill, it makes me think of sledding... so not super high) near our house. This sounds like a fairly peaceful activity, right? Well, not so much. 

The day we'd picked was apparently scheduled for Invasion of the Bikers. (Great movie title, right? Is the term still 'biker' if they're on a bicycle and not a motorcycle?) People on bikes are scary, when they're going 100km/hour down a twisty and turvy road. What if they ended up flat against our windshield? Or under our tires? This is just one of the reasons I don't bike.

(Actually, that's a total lie. I don't bike because a) helmets mess up my hair, but I know too well that I am a klutz and so likely to kill myself without one and b) I don't have enough padding on my posterior for it to be comfortable. How do those super-skinny athletes manage?)

To be completely fair, they probably thought we were the scary ones... We were in a large, square, orange car-thing, after all. (Named Bertie. Because that's just what you call a large, square, orange car-thing.) Plus, we kept stalling for no reason. (No, I was not driving.)

However, despite all this, we managed to leave the bike zone and arrive at the hike zone with no fatal injuries... just a few bruises and scrapes. (KIDDING! No one was squashed like a bug against our windshield! You're welcome for that lovely mental image.)

Once we got over that initial trauma, the hike itself was actually lovely. We even managed to see quite a bit of wildlife! (Ok, so most of it was of the insect variety, but still. I fancy that the bugs buzzing around my head gave me quite an angelic halo!) Funny fact: even though we go hiking quite often, this was my first time seeing deer in the woods- and I saw two!




The terror of driving may have taken a few years off my life... but the serenity of the deer restored it. (Thankfully there were no mutant squrrels... although I suspect the insects may have been their evil minions.)

What are your thoughts on hiking? Is it a fun family activity, or something to be actively avoided?

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad that no bikers were hurt and you were able to have a good time hiking! Such gorgeous photos - I'm glad you were able to see such gorgeous creatures!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, me too! thank you, it was wonderful :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, I love deer!! That's so awesome you got to see them in their natural habitat.
    Hiking sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww such a cute dear. I myself like hiking and I agree it is fun sometimes :) xx

    Sneak peek into my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for hiking! except for when there's bugs :P

      Delete
  4. I've only started hiking this year... it is kind of a mix. I hate bugs, so there's that. It is nice being around nature, but all I ever really see is caterpillars - not deer! How lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the bugs are definitely no fun :O & haha, i know! it was really a shock, i'm not expecting it to happen again :P

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love hiking, it's such a great way to enjoy this beautiful world we live in! Those are some awesome pictures, Zia. :) I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) i agree, it's wonderful to be able to see the beauties of nature!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful that you had fun with your dad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)