Thursday, July 19, 2012

i believe in ghosts


Really, though, who wouldn't with these impressive faces staring down?



Yes, the one on the right is a woman. (I'm hoping that the artist was less than illustrious and that she didn't really look like that...)



I do like this couple, though. I would wear a dress like that. (Maybe not in our current drought... but hey, I'm sure back then she was all the rage!)



The bottom photo here isn't even my relative. My mother saw this picture at an auction and decided that, since my father had so many interesting (read: icky) pictures commemorating his family, she ought to join in. (And, again, the one at the top right is a woman... I do feel sorry for her...)

Yes. I am actually related to these people. Lucky me.(Hopefully this doesn't mean that I will one day look like a man.) (Although come to think of it, the reason they're haunting me may be due to the fact that I insult them so frequently. Hmmm...)

What happened, you ask impulsively? Why do you think your house is haunted by these illustrious characters?

Well, for one, no one who looks that grumpy (I exclude the younger couple from this. Although... maybe they just LOOK innocent? Hmm...) could possibly witness the joy and excitement of our household (...we read a lot. That's exciting, right?) without being inspired to mischief.

In addition, I have had some experiences that cannot be fully explained. Like the time I woke up in the middle of the night after being slapped. (My face still hurt in the morning, and my hand was nowhere near.) Or the time that I saw floating lights all around my bedroom.

Or the time I was almost pushed over our staircase railing.

Now, I am naturally klutzy (I fully admit this) but even I do not flip over banisters without reason when facing completely the other direction. Nor can I explain the time I felt myself being literally PULLED down a set of stairs. (I was alone in the house, so it couldn't have been my parents and their dubious sense of humour.)  

Let's just say, if you come to my house, stay away from staircases.

Have you had any haunting involvements, or do you simply think it's all inanity? 

Oh, and in case you hadn't guessed from the insane number of I adjectives, this is my entry to Jenny Matlock's I linkup!

Jenny Matlock

28 comments:

  1. I do believe on ghosts too. But luckily I haven't encountered one. If I be alone at home and something like this happens, I will most definitely be scared and will start screaming :P xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was just so stunned that i couldn't even breathe :O omg, had i been alone, it would have been even worse!

      Delete
  2. I am sure that the woman in the first picture even looked worse as the portrait painters embellished their clients otherwise they wouldn't be payed, lol ! She didn't really look very sexy, lol !
    Now I have no ghosts around here and felt never haunted ! Maybe our house is too modern to house some ghosts !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ouch, sad thought! poor lady :P
      that's good! i hope your life continues being ghost-free ;)

      Delete
  3. sounds intriguing. so your house is sort of haunted especially on the stairwell? it's hard to believe just hearing you say it but that doesn't mean it's not true. I do wonder about ghosts and if they exist, does that mean other bad creatures(?) exist too? I'm hoping there's more good than bad things in the world.

    have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think so... i wouldn't know how to tell for certain, however. i agree- i too hope that there are many more good spirits out there.

      Delete
  4. I did have some experiences of that sort years ago when I lived in an old old old house in Kentucky!

    It's was scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, i can imagine! glad you're still here to talk about it :O

      Delete
  5. When a friend's father died, she ended up with all the old family pictures. Upon going through them, she found that she had absolutely no clue as to who many of those people were, and neither did anyone else in her family. She gave me a stack of them to use in collage work. They are such FUN to work with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love old pictures for that cause too! we photocopy quite a few of ours; much more fun to create ghosts in art.

      Delete
  6. Those pictures are creepy. I'd be scared to have those in my room. And yeah I do believe in ghosts, when I was younger I saw one of my grandmothers aunt. My mom didn't believe me at first, only my granny, 'cause I described how she looked and apparently she was in her wedding dress o.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! and yet i have to live with them -_-
      that's so creepyyy :O makes me think of a horror movie (dead bride)...

      Delete
  7. I know that a long time ago, it took a while to actually take the photo. People had to hold very still so as not to be blurry. Hence the severe looks. As for painting, we can only hope the portraitist was not particularly talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, good point. it must have been quite tedious!

      Delete
  8. Hehe oh man! Are you going to have your portrait up there someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my, scary thought :O if so, let's just hope i look more attractive!

      Delete
  9. I do think I would start to speak nicely to those dearly departed souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, true... perhaps it's my fault for making fun of them so many time...

      Delete
  10. I still haven't decided if I believe in ghosts. Can I just believe in spirits?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've had any direct experience with ghosts and, honestly, I would rather not unless it was perhaps Casper the Friendly Ghost.

    Regarding the sourpuss faces of your ancestors, one thought is that their lives were pretty difficult so they might not have had a lot to be smile about. Also, because the film their photos were taken with way back then was very slow they were probably required to stay still for quite a while, so the photographer might have discouraged them from smiling.

    Finally, I wonder what our ancestors would think of the photographs we take of ourselves these days!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, that's true... i really don't know much about them, it might be worth it to do some research...

      haha oh my goodness, they'd probably be quite scandalised! (not of me personally, but some people out there...)

      Delete
  12. Ooh that's creepy!
    I believe in ghosts too, and I'm a little afraid of them (sometimes). I've had some weird encounters, but nothing too crazy.
    Old photos freak me out a bit though haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! who knows what kinds of things may be lurking beneath the surface...:O

      Delete
  13. haha...pretty fun stuff...well, not the ghost, per se, but your commentary on the photos. Hey, that ugly couple you were badmouthing, they're my aunt and uncle....haha..just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, i'm so sorry to have insulted your family ;D

      Delete
  14. Oh man.

    Sometime we need to get together when we have lots and lots of time to talk! I have ghost stories to share. Many, many of them!

    This was such a intriquing and interesting post for the letter 'I'.

    I'm laughing over Anita's comment, though!

    What fun!

    Thank you for linking up.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, you should totally post about them! it would be fascinating, and i'd love to hear!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)