Thursday, June 14, 2012

darling diy- kitty skirt

I made my first DIY clothing project when I was about ten or so. It was the cutest little shrug, and I couldn't wait to wear it. As soon as I got home from my friends' house, I put it on with the hugest grin on my face. I thought I looked absolutely adorable!

However, other people had other ideas. Namely,my father.As soon as he saw me, he burst out laughing and said, "They're shirtless sleeves!"

I never wore that little shrug again.

All this to explain why I rarely do DIY clothing projects. (Now you know the secret trauma of my childhood.That and once being forced to drink an entire glass of milk-the horror!) However, when I saw this darling little kitty skirt over at Scathingly Brilliant, I knew I had to make it and show all of you wonderful readers how I decided to make it.



Materials: Black, white and red felt, a plain black skirt, a needle and thread, and two buttons. (Note that the colours of all of these things can be changed, depending on what colour you want your cat to be.)

Instructions: 
1. Cut out your cat ear shapes- 4 identical black triangles and 2 identical white ones- and stitch them together. (Or, you really hate sewing, you could use iron-on transfer sheets or a hot glue gun.)



2. Cut out your little nose shape from the red felt, attach it to the iron-on transfer fabric and iron it to your skirt! (Make sure not to attach it in a... suggestive area.)

3. Sew on the buttons, just above the nose. 

4. Sew on the ears. (I used a double seam so that they popped out even more.)

And... that's it! Here it is on the floor: 


I was worried that it would draw attention to my stomach, but the cut of the skirt actually makes it really flattering! Once again on me (just because it's so cute!):


What do you think? Would you wear a kitty skirt? 

Even better, it starts with a D- so I could join in on the Delicious and Dapper linkup over at Jenny Matlock's blog! Go and check out some more of the Dramatic and Dimpled posts!

Jenny Matlock

32 comments:

  1. This is So. CUTE! you are talented. I've never sewn in my life, but my mother is really good at it. I would totally wear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) my mother is far better than me! She probably wishes I would do more, but I get bored.

      Delete
  2. It's adorable! omg the little kitty ears <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a cat obsession, so i love this <3
    i might buy a leopard print skirt and make it a leopard skit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be gorgeous! post pics if you do, I'd love to see :D

      Delete
  4. This is really interesting. I think someone such as yourself who is much younger is well suited for such a darling little skirt, me not so much. lol Good job on the DIY project! ;)

    Deep Discount – College Textbooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks :) I'm sure it would look adorable on any age!

      Delete
  5. You are very creative and talented! I might wear it if it was made into an apron type thing - even though I rarely wear aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling, Daring and Devine!!! If I was your age i would totally wear a kitty skirt ... fashion should always be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute. I would wear it for halloween or some place fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, this is so cute! I don't think I could rock this, but you look great!

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :D you could make a dog one... ;)

      Delete
  9. LOVE it! I may have to try this- though I have to dig through my closet and find a skirt I haven't used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's adorable! Probably wouldn't look good on me, though. And I don't have a sewing machine - one of the things I plan to get in the future! But - you're wearing a sleeveless shirt! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) & I didn't even use a sewing machine- you can tell by the uneveness of the stitches xD

      Delete
  11. It IS cute and on you it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very cute although I can't quite picture myself in it. At my age someone would for sure refer to me as "the old cat lady"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks :) haha, people already call me that!

      Delete
  13. Tatiana your skirt is soooo cute!
    You look so much like your mother in this picture (or rather, when she was your age.)

    Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightfully creative project!

    I don't wear skirts. Period.

    But if I was as cute as you are, I might have to reconsider my ban on that clothing article!

    Thanks for the smile!

    This was really a fun post!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)