Wednesday, June 27, 2012

my eyes are vibrating a little


Out of the following list, I'm not sure which is sadder; the fact that I...
a) read 2736 pages of manga in the past 2 days (152 chapters, around 18 pages each);
b) took the time to calculate that (hey, I miss math!... okay, that's not really helping); or
c) actually wrote 'read manga' on my summer goals list. (Maybe I should add 'Have a summer goal list' to that, too.)

For those of you who don't know, manga is a Japanese story-telling form; a novel told mainly through drawings, which are done in a specific style- big eyes, slightly disproportionate figures... In general, the storylines and characters are also very dramatic and humorous... or very dark. They're nice summer reads because the books are small, quick reads (2 chapters takes me around 15 minutes to read, feel free to calculate the approximate amount of time I spent reading...) and, even if you can't find the book, there are tons of translation sites online.

However, if you decide to read an entire series online like me, beware! You might end up looking like this:




Which series was I reading so avidly, you might ask?




It's about two boys- a writer and an artist- who decide to create a manga together. (How meta.) As you can maybe guess from the fact that I read most of it in two days, I quite enjoyed it!

Also on my summer reading list are a few I've already read: 

Death Note (...okay, confession, I've already finished it too. Be warned- this one will actually make you think! Done by the same artist-writer combo, funnily enough)



Fruits Basket (my favourite series I've read so far... cute, funny and weepy, what more could I ask for?) 



and Azumanga Daioh (HILARIOUS. Don't read this in public, because the onlookers will think you're a rhino snorting. Okay, maybe that's just me)...



as well as a few I haven't: Bunny Drop, Afterschool Charisma and The Wallflower
(Links to Goodreads are provided for all of them, by the way!) 

What about you? Do you have a summer reading list? Do you read manga at all? 

13 comments:

  1. Almost tempted to read them from your enticing description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should :D then i can obsess over them with you!

      Delete
  2. one of my best friends from college loved manga, this reminds me of her :)


    x Jordan
    - Boho Vanity -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, that's sweet :3 hopefully they're good memories!

      Delete
  3. I think it's awesome that you put that on your summer to do list! :)
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks! glad to know i'm not completely insane ;)

      Delete
  4. I have those eyes on a daily basis. I am glad they are now identified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel really dorky admitting this but I miss math class too... why oh why... wow 38hrs in 2 days... 5 hours of sleeping/eating each day?! What's on your list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY FOR MATH :D
      ...ok, that can't be right O.o i must be faster than i thought!

      Delete
  6. I love Japanese illustration/animation, but I haven't read any manga. I really want to, though!
    It's great when you get "sucked" into something, especially during summer!
    (Also: LOVE that crazy eyes thing haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, you definitely should! let me know if you find any good ones :3
      agreed- i don't have to worry about school xD

      Delete
  7. My niece reads Manga ...she loves it; loves to draw and design figures, the whole bit! I will have to mention your blog to her! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)