Saturday, June 2, 2012

yay for muffins!

This morning (actually, it's been about 2 weeks...) I was craving muffins. So... I baked muffins. (Great story, right?) I will be the first to admit that when it comes to food, I'm a little bit of a nut. I try to eat as healthily as possible at meals... because then I pig out on snacks. (Chocolate and salted nuts= heaven.) So, when I bake, I often try to make it at least somewhat nutritional. (Also, following a recipe bores me. I'm far more likely to think "Ooh! What is this random ingredient in the cupboard? I don't know, but I'll throw it in anyway!" Amazingly, I have yet to get food poisoning. Does anyone else cook like this?) In case anyone is looking for a simple and healthy breakfast or snack recipe to make over the weekend, here it is!

Ingredients
  •  2 cups yogourt (preferably plain)
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup honey/agave syrup
  • 2 cups bran
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups blueberries
Method
  1. In a large bowl, beat together the oil, honey and eggs.
  2. Stir in the bran, vanilla and protein.
  3. In a smaller bowl, combine the yogourt and baking soda. 
  4. Add it alternatively with the dry ingredients to the egg bowl.
  5. Fold in the blueberries.
  6. Bake in a pre-greased muffin tin at 375 for approx. 18 minutes.
And here are a couple of pictures! (They're not gorgeous... but they're tasty, at least in my opinion!)





Notes
  • This made about 20 fairly large muffins.
  • My oven cooks quickly, so it might take slightly longer in yours.
  • WATCH OUT- the yogourt and baking soda expands a lot! (I found this out to my detriment the first time I made them...)
  • If you're using flavoured yogourt, sugar levels might change (and sugar is a perfectly acceptable substitute! you might have to add more liquid though).
  • Protein powder isn't necessary- I just like the flavour/protein content.

...I love how my notes are nearly as long as the recipe. Let me know if you make them- I'd love to hear how they turn out!


6 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us- I will definitely put them on my "Will Attempt to Bake" list (I'm not so great in the kitchen sometimes lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) and they're super easy- another reason I like them!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! They look so good. Definitely on my Summer Project List!

    <3Hima
    P.S. Guess what word I looked up today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      Tenebrific? Another yay! isn't it great? Unfortunately it's not really easy to fit into everyday conversations :P

      Delete
  3. Woahh!! Those look amazing! I like that they are made with protein powder! Which kind did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand I use is Kaizen naturals, I think- it's vanilla ice cream flavoured xD

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)