Friday, June 22, 2012

excellent eating- strawberry rhubarb cobbler

Dear rhubarb... I hate to tell you, but you're one of the least attractive plants out there. Huge stalks, enormous leaves, no flowers... Strike one, two, three, you should be out- except you make such delicious desserts! (Or really, even just a snack you're quite tasty.) So, when I discovered that you had spread once more... what better to do than make a delicious cobbler?


Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

Filling
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups strawberries (I used frozen, but fresh would be wonderful)
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla

Crumble
1 cup oats
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 scoops protein powder (optional)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup partially melted butter
1/3 cup honey

1.       Preheat oven to 400.
2.       Combine filling ingredients in pan.


3.       Mix oats, flour and protein powder in medium-sized bowl.
4.       Mix in yogurt, then honey, then butter. (Now that I type it, I realise that this could probably actually all be done at once.)


5.       Put crumble on top of fruit.
6.       Bake for approximately 20 minutes.


And there you have it- a delicious, easy and healthy lunch! (Or breakfast, or whatever.) If you wanted to make it a little more 'desserty', you could add cream or vanilla ice cream. (Or even just more sugar. As you can tell, I like it when the rhubarb is still very tart.)


What's your opinion on rhubarb? Would you try making this?


Oh, and this is also my entry for the wonderful linkup over on Jenny Matlock's blog! (Thank you, dearest rhubarb, for making this possible.)


Jenny Matlock

21 comments:

  1. I would absolutely try making this! It looks delicious! I laughed at tour apology to rhubarb at the beginning haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my absolute favorite pie! I will definitely try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funnily enough, I've never eaten it as pie :P i'll have to try that out next time!

      Delete
  3. Zia, this sounds soooo good! :) I'm going to make some, after next time I go to the grocery store so that I can shop for the ingredients that I don't have!

    An aside, I think rhubarb is beautiful! Pretty bright redish purple stalks and those lovely soft green leaves. Mmmmm! Rhubarb is my favorite pie also.

    "Absence make the heart grow stronger" 'they' say. We can't grow rhubarb down here in this far South country (Houston, Texas, area) so we are stuck either with frozen or some that we 'rustle' when we go to the Midwest.
    ..
    Oh yes, I am also cooking. I posted making egg, Canadian bacon, and cheese sandwiches here:
    http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2012/06/e.html

    and peeling eggs for deviled eggs here:
    http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-alphabe-thursday-e-eggs-again.html

    for some of my "E" words.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked it :) cooking is always fun!

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite summertime desserts!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love strawberry rhubarb anything so this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never tasted rhubarb in my life and that sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -gasp- you should definitely try some! it's so nice and tart :3

      Delete
  7. great recipe! The addition of protein powder--quite a good idea!
    I don't like super sweet either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look delicious! my goal this summer is to learn to cook more stuff so i will try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello.
    I love strawberries, but I could never get past rhubarb. Nice instructions and presentation. Thanks for sharing.

    Emotions Of Poetry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, too bad! i do understand though- i don't even eat meat xD

      Delete
  10. I love rhubarb.

    It doesn't grow here in AZ...too hot for it!

    I used to have a wonderful recipe for a rhubarb cake but I haven't made it in years!

    Thanks for an excellent link for the letter "E".

    A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poor you! i just love it in summer- rhubarb cake sounds delicious :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)